Coronavirus COVID-19: Some residents of Ibadan, the Oyo state capital on Friday said they were in fear over the return of a Chinese, suspected to have contacted the deadly Coronavirus.
The residents of Akobo, one of the densely populated areas in Ibadan, claimed they were in panic mode since the return of the Chinese man into the city.
They expressed fear of contacting the deadly virus through contact with the Chinese returnee.
Our correspondent gathered on Friday that the Chinese returned to Akobo area four days ago. Since then, the residents have been making frantic efforts to confirm his health status.
A resident of the area who asked not to be named told DAILY POST that, “There is a case of a Chinese who just returned to Akobo 4 days ago. The community members are making frantic efforts to confirm his status. You may wish to follow this up”.
Another resident of the area who identified himself as Mr. Falana maintained that the community had contacted the Oyo State Ministry of Health on the matter.
Falana in a telephone conversation with DAILY POST added that the community had also gone to the immigration office to report the arrival of the Chinese in the area. He maintained that through the efforts of the community, the man was already in self isolation.
“Yes, there is a Chinese in our area. The man returned to Akobo four days ago. We have been to the ministry of health and the immigration office to report the case. The man is presently in self isolation. Our community is working hard to curtail the spread of the deadly Coronavirus COVID-19. The ministry promised to intervene”.
Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bashir Bello also confirmed the arrival of the Chinese in the area.
He, however, explained that the man has not shown any symptoms of Covid 19.
Bello had on Wednesday disclosed that a suspected case of Covid 19 is currently being monitored in Ibadan.
He said that the man, in his 50’s, who arrived Bodija area of Ibadan from the United Kingdom, has been isolated for the past four days.
Bello said the case was being monitored and the result of the blood test was expected to arrive on Thursday (yesterday).
But, Bello declined to reveal the result of the test of the UK returnee.
Bello who cited medical ethics as the reason why he will not reveal the result of the test, however, directed our correspondent to the department of public health, should he needs further clarifications.
“He is under surveillance at the moment. He is in self-isolation. The situation is under control. But, I can’t tell you the result if the test on the paper, we cannot reveal the identity of the patient, and we can’t reveal the result of the test on the media. It is a medical issue and our job is to protect the patient. You have the telephone numbers of the emergency team, or you can contact the department of public health”.
© 2020, Our9Ja Trending News. All rights reserved. On republishing this post you must provide link to original post